Hi shachar,
First of all I do not want to spam anyone, it's one of the required
steps I need to do to setup the group in linkedin.
Let me display the next scenarios
1. Consultant hunt.
A software companies VP R&D which has a linked-in acount wants to
outsource a linux project and to get an overview of the different
resources around that can fulffil it's job he searches for linux and
israel and with the other results finds that there is a linux oriented
group in Israel.
What I'd do (if I was him) in this point is to use that to narrow my
results and start searching within ghoup members because I assume they
know something about linux.
In that way he finds that a freelance consultent hosting a company
named GNULIN has the skillset he's looking for .
In this point that person can't even connect the consultant he needs
to see how he's related to him (through a contact that knows a contact
that knows a contact - up to 4 levels of connections) he'll then ask
one of his friends to introduce possibly even giving a royalty to the
reffering friend if a successfull job is performed .
The VP then contacts the consultant and they live happily forever in a
bidi heaven :).

2. Member job hunt.
OK so we post job offers in the list but I know that I have disliked
list members posting stuff as. "hmm hey I'm looking forwork and I can
debug kernel oops with perl using python while witholding scsi cable
abuse..."
In this form You can simply play with the settings of you're profile
and label you're self with a "looking for a job offer".
I have head hunted in linux-il many times using it as a tool to get a
filtered ,linux oriented crowd which typically is much better then the
typical job companies (hasama).
I know I'd first look here because I can get instant refferels on that
person I can ask Ira about Gabor and I can query Gilad on Omer in that
way.
This creates an additional network of trust not totally unlike PGP -
just business oriented.

Those are the IGLU tailored ones - beyond that there is the the normal
marketing mish mash that linkedin presents that can be viewed here...
www.linkedingroups.com/groupspdf/Linkedin_for_groups.pdf

I believe that everybody holding a linux oriented job could possibly
benefit be it project job or business aquiantence they look ok
protecting privacy.
More that that the only spam you'll get is theinitial one what I
intend to do - if I manage it which could change - is simply
pre-approve the existing members - all that means is not making them
join but simply storing a "yes" answer if Ira, Marc, Evgeny, Gabor or
anyone else which is allready inside .
I'm happy and proud to be a part of IGLU all I want to do is to
communicate to the world which will need my services one day -
"This is IGLU it's an excellent place to find great developers,
creative innovators and non existing cabals" if you know somebody that
knows me and I'm _willing_ (profile attribute) to listen feel free to
contact me through one of my contacts.

Hope this explains my motivation.
Lior.

--