On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:36:31 +0200, Shlomi Fish wrote:

> I'm not sure that's the right place for it. You need root permissions to
> modify /etc/X11/XF86Config. Putting it there does not make sense on Linux.

Don't think in such a linear fashion, Shlomi. Just because there is a
menu item or desktop icon for an action, doesn't mean you can't ask
the user for the root password when she chooses it. For example, on my
panel I have icons for several apps, one of which is Synaptic. When I
click on it, I get a dialog asking me for the root password.
Why does that make sense, but an right-click menu item for changing
the X color depth does not?

> I meant that I don't dislike this fact. I mean that I was never bothered by
> the fact that I could not change the colour depth at X-Windows' run-time.

It doesn't really bother me, either (well, not a lot). It *does*
bother me that at least for the distribution I use, there seems to be
no easy, graphical way to change this.

> Should be easy using XFdrake or mcc or xf86config or whatever. I don't know
> what is available on Mepis.

xf86config is a command-line tool, and anyway its man page says that
it is used to "generate an XF86Config file". I wanted to edit an
existing one, not generate a new one.
I guess there is no GUI tool for this on Mepis, at least non that I could find.

--
Offer Kaye