On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Marc A. Volovic wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 19:46 +0300, guy keren wrote:
> > indeed, with the fastest running at 166MHz, they're too weak for my needs.
> > not to mention the need to assemble a box on my own.
>
> What level of price/performance do you want?

the performance should allow me to run a fairly recent linux distribution
- i can't just choose it, since i have to use certain
desktops,applications/whatever based on the lecture's subject.

thus, it has to be "strong enough" to run things such as OO 2.0, KDE 3.X,
firefox and the like. if i can have such a thing for 500-1000$ - that's
what i want to know. once i know what options are available, i'll be able
to make the trade-off between price and performance.

i'm certainly not going to pay 2K$ for such a thing.

as i see it now, the mini mac marks the upper-bound - it has all i want
and a little more, in dimentions that are at the upper-limit i think i can
live with. it's disadvantage is that it is not X86 - and thus i will not
be able to run various x86-centric tools on it (e.g. valgrind, perhaps
various binary-only modules, etc.).

> Do you require a VGA screen and PS/2?

i don't require a screen AT ALL. i require a screen controller - i go with
my box to some place, and they have keyboards and screens/barcos locally,
that i can connect to the PC i'm bringing.

for this reason i also require both USB and PS/2 - in order to be able to
connect whatever local keyboard/mouse they have. since hetz mentioned a
solution for a PS/2 keyboard without a native PS/2 outlet in the PC, and i
cna have a PS/2-to-USB connector in my pocket, then PS/2 outlets are not a
must.

> There are quite a few Geode designs which may be used. They can be
> packed into a fairly small box (like a Checkpoint SoHo thingy)...

i don't want to assemble it myself - i want a resilient machine, not a toy
that keeps breaking because i have two left hands :0

> > well, since i need most of the available I/O accessible on the outside, i
> > won't be able to save a lot of space even if i wanted to.
>
> I dispute that - you will not need two RS232 and the parallel...

assuming i won't fall on serial mice anywhere, nor similar old hardware,
then yes - these are optional and i could live without them.

--
guy

"For world domination - press 1,