On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 12:54:07PM +0300, Uri Even-Chen wrote:

> I think there should be a standard for office file formats, and the
> standard should not be owned by MS.  MS don't want a standard, they
> don't want to be compatible with other softwares.  They own the market.
> I think there should be a standard so people will choose their office
> software for features and not for compatibility.  It's not good to the
> market to have a monopoly.

/me reminds Uri and Peter of an enlightened decision of some people in

Massachusetts, that was already linked to in this thread.

Yes, there is such a standard: Sun has submitted OpenOffice 1's
document format to OASIS as a standard candidate. After some
ammendements it was recieved as a document format. It has already been
proven to be portable, as there are a number of independent
implementations (OpenOffice 2, KOffice, Abiword (currently only import,
hopefully soon also export), and hopefully soon also TextMaker).

And recently Massachusetts declared it to be the official documents
format for all govrement workers as of 2007. Which probably means
MS-Office will be forced to support it as well by then.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | VIM is
[EMAIL PROTECTED] |                           |  best