On 11/13/05, Uri Even-Chen wrote:
>  The main goal is to have (for each pair of languages) a list of
> translations of words, phrases and maybe even sentences.  Then, the
> algorithm will just do "search and replace" - for every word, phrase or
> sentence it will replace it with its equivalent in the target languages.
> I think it's quite a simple algorithm to start with.  And then it will
> be improved in the future.  (Even Linux was not written in one day!).

There's *no way* to go from a simplistic "search and replace" of
single words (or very short/simple phrases) to a full blown
translation software. There's no "improvement" you could make that
would make such a methodology work for complete sentences in a real
language. .Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you
something...

You first need to come up with a working method, then find a way to
implement it. You can't try to start with a naive "list of words to
replace" and expand that to translating complete sentences.

As for maintaining *lists of sentences* to translate.... dude, are you nuts? ;-)

Finally, since you mentioned Wikipedia, here are some useful links:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_translation
See especially the section on "Free (open source) software" for
existing efforts where you might be able to help.
A more general article regarding translation:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translation

Best regards,
--
Offer Kaye