Shachar Shemesh wrote:
Nothing is. I'll settle for ideas regarding what things they are useful
for. Please restrict your answer to those in which success ratio can be
accurately measured.

Sorry, no time at the moment. Just answer the above question, i.e. - can
you give (relatively) objective standard by which how good the music
your neural network produced can be measured? Please don't understand
this question as a taunt. Music is a highly subjective thing, and there
is nothing wrong with a program that can produce good music, regardless
of what definition of "good" you may wish to use. With translations,
however, quality measurement is, by far, less subjective. Any program
that consistantly produces a translation of a general text that 20% of
the target native speaking population will call "a good translation"
will get my appreciation. I'll even not include literary text, as those
tend to be harder to translate.

My experience is that you can use neural networks to compose music.  It
doesn't mean you can't compose music without them - it's just a tool.
Like there is a piano, a guitar, many instruments - each one of them can
be used to play music.  The same is with neural networks.

Regarding other uses of neural networks - I'm not an expert, but I know
they have been used for pattern recognition and all sort of things in
physics and other areas.  What is special with neural networks is their
ability to generalize.  You teach them something, then they "learn" and
generalize on data which was never given to them.

Best Regards,

Uri Even-Chen
Speedy Net
Raanana, Israel.