--=-uEA6EYo52oxs/+4ni8Zq

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 10:04 +0300, David Suna wrote:

> I am purchasing a new computer and will be setting it up from scratch.
> Until now I have been using RedHat releases however I have read a lot
> about newer distributions (i.e Ubuntu etc.)  I would like to get
> recommendations for what would be the best distribution for my needs.
>

> This machine will be an internal server for a SOHO setup.

> The main criteria for me is that the system should "just work" and be
> easy to maintain.

Unlike some people, I would recommend going with something rather more
modern then Debian stable. The main problem with Debian stable is while
it is stable (which is great for serious production work by trained
professionals), its is rather old, has very limited configuration tools
for servers (or most anything useful actually) and what it does have is
notoriously non-newbie friendly.

So unless you are already familiar with Debian, and/or like to learn
such stuff and have the time to invest in it (a lot of time - we're not
talking Gentoo here, but to get the stuff you want going - plan on at
least a week where all your free time is invested in setting up the
beast), I would recommend to stay away from that and go with something
which is both modern and mainstream (and not Debian testing/unstable -
which fall under all the categories above {including non-modernism}
except that they're not stable).

My recommendations (in no particular order) would be SuSE (open or
otherwise) - which has great tools although a bit harder to understand
w/o reading the documentation; Fedora - which has rather limited set of
server configuration tools, but IIRC has all the stuff you required in
easy to use and understand GUI tools; and lastly, Mandriva - which has
all the tools you need, all the software you need, is very modern but
their choices of where the stuff you need is located are not always
obvious.

Ubuntu and a lot of other new and rather interesting and even well done
Linux operating system are sadly almost entirely desktop oriented, and
while it shouldn't be hard to setup server software on such (assuming
you know what you are doing), if you're not going to use them as desktop
systems - why bother ? Get something which was designed for the task you
have at hand - its not like it costs more.

--
Oded
::..

--=-uEA6EYo52oxs/+4ni8Zq