Ilya

I kinda agree with you - I hate rewriting stuff that works just for fashionista reasons BUT sometimes you have to.

IMHO - the Israeli FOSS can learn from their EU / American counterparts. FOSS is growing up. Even a small business will be more comfortable with a professional looking service provider. FOSS is growing beyond cheesy looking web sites and wearing sandals and t-shirts although I admit I wear shorts 9 months a year ;-)
There are so many good examples - look at Ruby on Rails for one.

You can have a slick professional looking site with php/libxslt but you'd have to work hard. OR - you can use Joomla and for $30 you can have a site that looks terrific AND promotes FOSS

my 2 cents
dL

Ilya Konstantinov wrote:
Danny L wrote:

I think that content and image are two separate issues. The community can project a more professional/modern image using FOSS tools - and gain 2 things a) a better image and b) prove that FOSS can look as good as a asp.net site or better and be cross browser compatible.
The site is currently using FOSS tools - PHP, libxslt - and I'm openly stating it. Do you want me to force Drupal on it -- to rebuild the same site with Drupal, even though we don't need it, just so we'd have an opportunity to advertise Drupal?

Danny Lieberman

http://www.software.co.il/blog -  Better Software, music and mountain biking
http://www.opensolutions.co.il -  Practical, vendor-neutral solutions to reduce
operational risk