Tzahi,

I could recommend classic paper "Recursive Make Considered Harmful"
http://aegis.sourceforge.net/auug97.pdf

It describes a way to build Makefiles with automatic dependencies,
meaning no separate "make dep" target. Non-recursive Makefile builds
*exactly* needed files and only them. Saves tones of time and
resulting binaries always consistent, meaning no need to do "make
clean" just to be sure.

The main idea behind it *not* using industry standard practice of main
Makefile recursively running make in subdirectories. Instead single
Makefile should be used which includes subdirectory's Makefiles. It
makes a difference, because this way make program has a full picture
of project's dependency graph.

This model is clearly a beauty if you ask me. It is simple and it works.

Alexander Indenbaum