I have an HP NC8000 Notebook that works flawlessly with linux.

It uses an atheros based wifi card that requires the free madwifi module.
Ubuntu has it preinstalled, debian has a source package (madwifi-source) you
can download and build with the debian package tools.

Everything else works out of the box.

The only thing I haven't tried to use yet is the 56K modem, but I don't need
it anyway

So +1 for HP from me :)

Alex