On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 13:39 +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Companies that are also long distance carriers split their bandwidth between
> telephone and Internet service. They adjust it "on the fly" to keep the phones
> working. When there are lots of calls in progress, Internet bandwidth is
> decreased.

I would argue that there are ISPs in Israel which have lines dedicated
to internet as they are not telephony carriers, but this really isn't
the case anymore, right ? ;-)

> If at their main routers, an ISP lowers the peak useage available to their
> Internet customers, their throughput and peak useage charges go down.
> This does not require a contract change, notification of customers, etc.

As far as I know, the actual pipes leading out of Israel (fiber and
satellites) are far from being fully utilized (I no longer have up to
date figures, but I'd be surprised if int'l connectivity is at over 50%
capacity), and its cheaper to get more bandwidth "on demand" then lower
throughput to customers, in case of unexpected usage peaks.

--
Oded
::..