On 3/2/07, Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, Yonah Russ wrote:

>> I am confused... is there any adult in this country who wants to be
>> fingerprinted to be able to check his email or chat in an adult chat
>> group (perhaps looking for a mate, perhaps not using very academic
>> language all the time - i.e. without resorting to Victorian code along
>> the lines of 'I wish I could tickle you softly' when someone means
>> something entirely different, yes) ?
>
> Someone with nothing to hide probably doesn't care. On the other hand,
if
> their afraid that someone could find out what they're doing, maybe they
> shouldn't be doing it? Besides, I don't see any reason why the resulting
> identification system has to be personally traceable.

The MI will strongly disagree. They are oh so near to nab all the
potential kiddie p0rn lovers, and eavesdrop on everyone just in case

Once again- if you don't break the law, then why would you care?

I personally don't see why as much law enforcement is as automated as
possible. Take traffic laws for example- Almost everything could be
automated. Why should cars be capable of driving faster than the highest
speed limit? Why should trucks be capable of driving when they are pulling
more than the allowed weight? Why shouldn't cars require a valid license to
start the engine? Even better- the car should not only require a valid
license, but the license should be matched against the insurance policy of
the car and you should have to pass a breathalyzer test before the engine
starts. ;)

-Yonah

(not that this does not happen already - I have had a quasi static IP on
DSL for a few years now, without paying anything - ah the perks, the
recognition !). And then there's the tax office, and politics (nothing
like publishing a logged chat session to shoot down an inconvenient
politician or officer's carreer five to ten years after the fact - see
what they do in the US about this for details).

>> By the way, your kids *do* go to the beach from time to time (without
>> wearing blindfolds) ? Or not ?
>
> My kids are under 4 years old so they don't surf the web or the waves ;)
but
> I don't really want them to be surfing porn sites when they grow up.

By the time they grow up 8 year olds will likely crack public terminals
using ninja handwaves and eyeblinks in front of the mandatory biometric
id devices.

>> Sorry for asking, there is no need to answer, I'm just mumbling to
>> myself. Of course I fully endorse setting up firewalls and content
>> filters of any kind you wish at *your* premises. At a cost.
>
> That's what people do now and it is less than effective. If you are
worried
> about the investments necessary by the ISP's, I say start taxing porn
users
> and take the money to pay the ISPs for their work. If this country can
tax a
> $12k car into a 120k NIS car, they can tax porn users (and cigarette
smokers
> while they're at it).

As you say, 'That's what people do now and it is less than effective'.
More exactly: the great china firewall has helped arrest about 20 times
more potential political dissidents than kiddie p0rn amateurs, with
excellent cooperation from the greatest technology Names from the land
of all possibilities and freedom: CI*** Ya*** M** and G*****. This has
not stopped either piracy, p0rn, or political dissidence. On the
contrary, all of these work much better now because they use cloaking,
vpns, and things like tor.net as a standard, plus every blogger in China
must use at least five pseudonyms since one of them was jailed for
posting something inconvenient about some comrade or other. Egyptian
bloggers recently learned the value of having untraceable nom de blogs
recently, the hard way.

As a result, nearly all downloads of tools which can implement these
measures are blocked in China. That includes all Linux and BSD downloads
of course, and many times access to linux mailing list archives. This
country already 'shines' by being the only 'developed' country that does
not have a Debian mirror, among other things. Just wait for what is
coming next ? Do I have to dot the Is on how this affects Linux and BSD
users in Israel ?

Peter