Indeed a remote exploit in the services is possible, and ofcourse each service can have a remote exploit...

However, I'd be trying to eliminate the less-uber-cool-hacker possibilities:
a. Bad local user (Bad user! spank him..)
b. SSH remote login using a weak password which was just guessed ("test123". Bad user again!).

Also try to check for root kits...

- Oren

Ori Idan wrote:
A server I managed was hacked by a libian hacker.
The only thing he did was changing the index.html of some web sites.

The server is based on fedora core 2
running:
httpd
sendmail
bind
proftp (through xinetd)
ssh

Any ideas how he could have done it?
What should I do to prevent such hackes in the future?

--
Ori Idan