> On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 12:02:29AM +0300, Geoff Shang wrote:
>
>> I've got an Edimax wireless router (not sure of the model number as I
>> can't
>> read it),and now need some PC hardware to go with it.
>
> If you connect to it with HTTP, it will tell you. EdiMax has the manuals
> available for download.

I assume you mean the logo at the top of the page.  Unfortunately, this is a
graphic, and because I am blind, I can't tell what it is.  This is the same
reason why I can't read it off the router or the box it came in.

The manual is included on a CD that came with the router, however the Cd
actually includes something like a dozen or more manuals so I don't know
which one applies to my product.

>> 1.  I need a PCMCIA wireless adaptor or something else suitable for a
>> laptop.
>
> Hold on. There are two kinds of adaptors. The older PCMCIA adaptors
> have a 16 bit data path and use 5 volts DC. The CARDBUS ones have a
> 32 bit data path and use 3.3 volts. PCMCIA slots only use PCMCIA
> cards, CARDBUS slots use both.

ah.  I am not sure which this laptop has.  It says something about "cardbus"
in Device Manager (this computer currently only has XP on it), so I'm
guessing that is what it has.  It is a 4-year-old Asus laptop.

>> 2.  I need something suitable for a desktop PC.
>

> That's difficult for a less than obvious reason. If you use a PCI card
> then the position of the PC maters. WiFi signals are line of sight. If
> the antenna on the card is "behind" the PC in relation to the router,
> it won't work well and in many cases not at all.
>
> For those cases, I prefer USB WiFi "dongles" with extension cables. You
> can place them where they get the best signal and move them around for
> the best orientation.

A USB dongle will do just fine, the PC in question has 8 USB ports, most are
USB2.  Any recommendations?

>> This is my first step into wireless networking, so any recommendations or
>> additional advice will be most welcome.
>
> It's much slower than a wire. It's fine for Internet access, casual
> file sharing and printing. If you want to do a daily backup of a gigabyte
> or more of data, you may be disappointed.

This is fine.  The previous setup used a 10 mbps Ethernet link, so this will
be a good step up, wireless overhead notwithstanding.

And yes I knew about 802.11N, but I needed a router quickly when I got to
Israel 2 months ago.  The wireless is actually kind of a bonus, but having
bought it, I plan on using it.

Geoff.