On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Ori Idan wrote:
> Most of us have sites and systems on shared hosting even without shell
> access so I assume you can manage without root.

The thing is that they have:

1. Configuration panels that allow one to configure the Apache in some way.

2. Ability to upload PHP applications via FTP.

3. Interface to the MySQL databases. (mysqladmin, etc.)

On tux.hamakor.org.il, I don't have access to any web-served
filesystem-directory, nor the ability to configure Apache, nor can I set up
databases, nor can I point domains.

With adequate hosting options, I can host these services and domains on a
different server, but:

1. That would be going against Hamakor.

2. That's what tux.hamakor.org.il is for.

> I support that you will have root privileges but we have been in this
> discussion in the past, unfortunately the current admin will not give root
> to anyone.

Actually, he's given root privileges to two other people in his company. But
it wasn't enough to restore the old iglu.org.il services.

> I don't think we need many domains, we can put all services under
> hamakor.org.il There is no need I think for many domains.
> Let's ask all the list here what do you think. Do we still need iglu
> domain?

However we are going to organise our resources we should still have redirects
from the old URLs to the new ones. And domains don't hurt much. I don't see
why wiki.perl.org, wiki.python.org.il, wiki.osdc.org.il, etc. need to be
under hamakor.org.il. At the moment, all the old URLs don't point anywhere.

I don't need the iglu.org.il domain that much, but at the moment, I cannot set
up anything on tux.hamakor.org.il.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

P.S: Ori, you should know better than to top-post:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting#Top-posting

Please answer inline.