Amos,

It really depends in what context are you thinking about the EEE and
it's competitors..

It's not going to replace my Thinkpad for example. It won't replace my
desktop machines nor my servers at home. It's not going to be my main
work machine. It's just going to be my "travel" machine. Where I can
stick an SD card with the latest favorite XViD episodes and I can play
them smoothly, where I can ssh to see whats wrong with one of the
servers at work, where I can read mail and I can actually surf without
limitations (limitations like no flash or any XPI plugins). BTW, there
are some tricks you can play with the EEE so you won't have to scroll
left-right reading a web page.

I have talked to people who did buy it in US. They're using it as a
2nd laptop. It doesn't pretend to replace your main laptop, but it's a
heck of a machine for stuff like I mentioned above, specially on
travels or if you're giving a presentation. It's damn 1 Kilo! have you
seen it's power supply? it's bigger a bit from my Nokia E61 power
supply, but it's almost half the size and weight of my Thinkpad power
supply and don't forget, I have to carry it, so I prefer to carry 1Kg
then carry 5+ Kilos.

I have checked the other machines with Hard drive instead of SSD
(those are the VIA based mini laptops) and I don't recommend buying
these machines. They are WAY slower, their touchpad is suitable for 10
months old baby but not an adult, their fan is constantly making
noise, their build quality really sucks, their VOIP "phone" barely
works, they cost like the EEE 8GB machine. They really suck.

Take a look at http://forum.eeeuser.com/ - see how many hacks (both in
hardware and software) the EEE got. It's simply amazing how people got
it to overclock with some kernel module, stretch the screen with some
X tricks, control the fan, added bluetooth, added storage and tons of
stuff for the EEE. Thats because the PCB is very simple, the chipset
is well known (Intel) and you can install any favorite Linux
distribution and use it. For 300-400$ I think it's worth it.

As for the mouse, with the 8G EEE, Asus supplies the purchases with a
nice case and a USB mouse :)

Thanks,
Hetz

--
Skepticism is the lazy person's default position.
my blog (hebrew): http://benhamo.org