Amos Shapira wrote:

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Hetz Ben Hamo <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
[snip]...

The other machine mentioned on this thread (forgot its name) which comes also with a small hard drive, might be a little more attractive for some users.
One of them is the Everex CloudBook - http://www.everex.com/, sold in walmart for the same price, while it comes with 30GB HD and 1.2Mhz processor (some Via chip).

I can't compare them too professionally but:
1. Google for Eee PC killer and you'll see several models that compete or will compete when they are released, with Asus Eee PC. 2. I would wait a bit: something with a bit bigger display, and preferably more CPU-powerful, at a similar price (and I know that Asus is going to provide an updated Eee model with bigger display) would be much more useful for wider market since it could run more than remote SSH client, email client and could actually run some software usefully. Web developers could run for example their favorite IDE (if they use one...) which can be a Java application.

Boaz.

These were the 7" screens with Xendros on them (at least one had Ubuntu installed on it, but I just looked at it, didn't play with it), maybe the promised 10" will be better in that regard.

So they are exciting, and coming from a mainstream vendor will hopefully cause a big splash about the usability of Linux on the desktop, but... "buyer beware".

--Amos