From a recent posting:

>>  At one time all packets between ISPs went via the IIX, which tends to
>>  become overloaded in the afternoon.

Not exactly. Let's call this Misconception #1.

>>  I don't know if that has changed,
>>  and if it has for all packets, or just ones that the ISPs want to have
>>  high priority.
>
> Now that they are connected between themselves, I don't think IIX is
> alive any more.

Misconception #2.

> anyone knows whats the status of IIX these days? Doron?

Starting with #2. IIX is alive and kicking. All the ISPs interconnect
via IIX. Currently (as opposed to, say, 5 years ago), IIX is but one
of a few ways ISPs in Israel peer with each other. They also do direct,
private peering.

Back to #1 above. During its entire history (as of 1996 - Bar Mitzva
next year!), IIX was never overloaded. It was always under capacity,
with routine upgrades that preserved this status.

The "overloading" sense that some people experienced in some periods
in history were a result of some ISP's (to remain unnamed) conscious
policy, to keep their link to the IIX narrow and fully saturated, so
as to manipulate end-users Internet access experience. This way their
own access customers would experience better service (because a large
part of Israeli content was hosted at that ISP as well).

This introduced high latency on that particular link; traceroute done
to debug that would have always shown the IIX on one end of the problem,
and hence, fingers were pointed at IIX as being the culprit. It wasn't.

Doron