On Sunday 06 April 2008 12:15:26 Gilad Ben-Yossef wrote:
> Aviram Jenik wrote:
> > Even the latest 2.4 kernel doesn't seem to support our SATA hard drive.
>
> Did you consider back-porting the driver for your SATA driver?

Not even for a brief nanosecond.

> It not as insane as it sounds. We do these things on a routine basis for
> various companies to support "legacy" software that needs to run on
> newer hardware.

Even if it's half as insane as it sounds, it's still pretty insane :-)

I'm just kidding - I can see why it *might* be cost effective to do that, but
for us it's the last straw and it'll push us to upgrade the entire system.

On Friday 04 April 2008 04:32:52 Amos Shapira wrote:
> So was there any alternate path you took to get over the problem?

The path we're taking is to completely upgrade the machine
to a modern Debian with a 2.6 kernel. It'll be long and painful (and prone to
errors) but at least we know it's doable whereas from Shachar and Muli's
failure.

Also, it will not be me who'll be doing the long and painful process, so it's
much easier to decide to do the 'right thing' ;-)

- Aviram