On my kids' computer I did a network upgrade from Ubuntu 7.10 to 8.04. Unfortunately, during the upgrade process the machine was rebooted. The machine boots now but when I log in under X the desktop doesn't come up at all. I just get a blank beige window. I also don't know what else got messed up because of the interrupted upgrade. I can ssh into the machine. I did the upgrade using Synaptic and I am not very familiar with apt commands. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this mess? To complicate the problem, the dvd drive on that machine is broken so I cannot boot from a rescue disk. I assume that there should be a way to tell the system to complete the upgrade process but I don't know the appropriate commands.

Pointers to appropriate web sites or documentation would also be appreciated.

--
David Suna
[EMAIL PROTECTED]