Hello Jonathan,

I think I begin to understand what you are trying to accomplish.  It is
indeed difficult to precisely select a text segment when there are
several spans of different directionality properties (LTR/RTL,
strong/weak, overrides, etc.) at its borders.

There are several possibilities for improving the selection GUI
look&feel in this case:

1. Turn off BiDi ordering for the entire file (useful by itself for
blind computer users; not directly related to our problem).

2. Manually turn off BiDi ordering for a text segment (say, a paragraph)
and then manually turn it back on.

3. Use the metaphor of using one hand to straighten out a piece of paper
when writing using the second hand (or straightening a piece of cloth
while doing needlework): turn off BiDi ordering 5 glyphs before and 5
glyphs after the mouse position (as the mouse moves, we suppress
ordering of differing glyphs).  Have them displayed with background
having different color.
(The exact numbers are to be determined by usability tests, and be
user-configurable through a setup menu.  So is the background color to
be used in this case.)

4. Have a small pop-up window, which displays the text around the mouse
without BiDi ordering and let the user guide his mouse actions using the
pop-up display.  The regular text display would be unchanged.

It would be nice to get Arabic speakers to be involved in this, as
Arabic presents a special problem - probably unreadable when the order
of glyphs is reversed without additional processing.  Hebrew and Latin,
in contrast, are still somewhat readable even in reverse direction.

                                    --- Omer

--
42 is the answer to everything.  Food is the answer to everything except
obesity.

I may be affiliated in any way.