On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:47:39AM +0200, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
OK - so assuming I can't use the router I bought fom Bezeq after moving to HOT, can anyone say if they've had any Linux experience (good or bad) using the cheap routers sold by www.ivory.co.il?

The two models they have are:
1 - wr541G for 148 shekel (or 180 shekels with an additional USB dongle - WN321G) 2 - wr641G for 195 shekel (or 270 shekels with an additional USB dongle - WN620G)

Note that they are some off brand, so you need to look them up. The model
numbers are similar to Linksys ones, but they are not.

The thing to do is to download the manual for them and look at the setup
instructions for the tunneling protocol you will be using, probably L2TP.

In order to work with HOT, you need to be able to specify on the WAN side:

IP Address*
NetMask*
IP gateway*
DNS servers*

Tunneling host aka Gateway

The ones marked with an asterisk are usually provided by DHCP.
The problem with some routers is that they are programed assuming that the
IP gateway and the tunneling gateway are the same IP address. This is common
in the US and the EU.

Personally, since you are doing this for the first time, I would buy an
EdiMax router from Office Depot or Bug, depending upon what they have
because you can return them if you can't get them to work, and EdiMax
AFAIK has phone support.

I've never had to return anything they have made, but a friend did and
when they took it back to Bug for a replacment, the person in the store
called them for him.

D-Link also makes good stuff. I had a D-Link wireless router which worked
fine until the power unit burnt out then I traded it for a Linksys access
point. The router, last I heard is still running fine, although it made
yeridah.
A friend bought one at Office Depot and I hooked it up for her to aDSL,
and it took about 2 minutes to configure. Most of the time was choosing
the WiFi passwords.
If you can find one at what you consider a reasonable price, buy a
Linksys WRTG-54L, which is the model that can run Linux. You can use it
out of the box, and if you want to get creative, run Tomato on it.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM