(I contacted several people off list for personal requests, I'm moving
the discussion back on-list because I think I saw interest in it
expressed before).

Someone basically said "I'll help you if you get yourself a server". I
like to keep costs down, I like highly-available servers (doing this
24/7 for my workplace now), and I started playing with Amazon EC2 for
work too - 1+1=... :)

Here are a few links I found in a quick search about running Asterisk
on Amazon EC2:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3905321/PREVIEW-CloudCrunch-Howto-Asterisk-PBX-and-Amazon-EC2

And an interesting collection by Nir Simionovich, which contains a
link to asterisk.org.il (according to NoScript):
http://www.simionovich.com/?tag=asterisk
Including his tales of setting up stuff on EC2.

Hope someone finds this useful, and would like to cooperate with on
setting something like this up.

Cheers,

--Amos