Hi Noam!

A few comments on your Perl code.

On Thursday 25 June 2009 10:59:47 Noam Rathaus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get nmap to be a bit more "friendly" by wrapping it
> inside a perl script that will cause it to spit out a status by
> "sending it a character":
> ==
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use IPC::Open3;
> use POSIX ":sys_wait_h";
> use FileHandle;

1. You should add "use strict;" and "use warnings;". They prevent many common
errors.

2. The FileHandle module was largely superseded by IO::File, IO::Socket, etc.
You should use them instead.

> $| = 1;
> my $nmap = "/usr/bin/nmap";
> my @ips = ('192.168.1.*');
>
> my $cmdline = " $nmap $args -v -v -v -sT -p 1-65535 -oX - ".(join '
> ',@ips); print "cmdline: $cmdline\n";

Where is $args declared and defined?

Also consider using http://search.cpan.org/dist/String-ShellQuote/ .

> my ($readfh, $writefh, $errorfh) = (FileHandle->new(),
> FileHandle->new(), FileHandle->new());

This can be more elegantly written as map { IO::Handle->new() } (1 .. 3);

> my $pid = 0;
>
> $pid = open3($writefh, $readfh, $errorfh, $cmdline) || die "Can't open
> pipe to $cmdline: $!\n";
>
> while(<$readfh>) {
>  print $_;
>  print $writefh "A";
> }

Perhaps read one character at a time here? (Or set $/ ?)

> print STDERR "done\n";
>
> ==

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish