On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 1:12 AM, Micha <mi...@post.tau.ac.il> wrote:

> On 06/07/2010 00:15, Elazar Leibovich wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Micha <mi...@post.tau.ac.il
>> <mailto:mi...@post.tau.ac.il>> wrote:
>>
>>    On 05/07/2010 18:18, Elazar Leibovich wrote:

[snipped]

> WYSIWYG tools really shines for grading assignments. It's much easier to
>> include comments in such a tool, and MS Word is the de facto standard.
>>

> Well, I tell my students not to bother sending me word documents as I can't
> read them. They either scan them or learn a better notation.
>
> However they send it though I send the answers back in pseudo latex
> notation and they seem to be just fine with it.

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. When you receive a,
say, PDF document for grading, you do *not* include inline comments, but you
write all the comments in a separate text document, and send that to the
client.

I personally hate to do that when grading. When I graded a course in
algorithm, I used Foxit Reader to include inline comments in tex-like
notation to the PDF, and it was pretty OK.

BTW, I really urge you to look at the latest version of MS Word's equation
editor. It is much much better now. It's really comparable to LyX (very
similar interface, equations are inline, typing ^ or _ gives you superscript
or subscript, \sum gives big sigma, \int gives an integral, equations are
really inline now, unlike in previous versions etc.).

You'll never use MS Word probably, but I really think it's worth exploring
it for the sake of the innovative ideas there are in the new MS Word
equation editor.

I attach two links to PDFs which explains the rational behind MS Word's new
equations editor
http://www.unicode.org/notes/tn28/UTN28-PlainTextMath-v2.pdf
http://www.activemath.org/workshops/MathUI/07/proceedings/Sargent-TwoSyntaxes-MathUI07.pdf<https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.activemath.org%2Fworkshops%2FMathUI%2F07%2Fproceedings%2FSargent-TwoSyntaxes-MathUI07.pdf>