On Sunday 18 Jul 2010 11:37:17 Shlomi Fish wrote:
> Hi Nadav,
>
> On Sunday 18 Jul 2010 10:03:32 Nadav Har'El wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 17, 2010, Shlomi Fish wrote about "New Freecell Solver
> > gcc-4.5.0
>
> vs. LLVM+clang Benchmark":
> > > On the other hand, with gcc-4.5.0 with "-flto" and "-fwhole-program"
> > > Freecell Solver ran at 85.1303749084473 seconds.
> > >
> > > I admit that I ran the gcc benchmark with a good renice and only in the
> > > virtual console, while running the LLVM/clang benchmark without a
> > > renice and in KDE and Compiz, but it still cannot explain the dramatic
> > > difference.
> >
> > Two nitpicks:
> >
> > 1. Instead of admitting to not running the two benchmarks in the same
> >
> >    conditions, can't you spare another 85 seconds (!) and run one of them
> >    again?
>
> Yes, I can. I'm on to it, which will take a little longer because I've
> deleted the svn checkout of LLVM today before I read your E-mail.

OK, ran it now and I got:

<<<
shlomi[fcs]:$trunk/fc-solve/source$ perl scripts/time-fcs.pl llvm*DUMPS/*
llvm-2-DUMPS/dump002:95.6706857681274
llvm-3-DUMPS/dump002:95.6713609695435
llvm-DUMPS/dump002:96.0500059127808
shlomi[fcs]:$trunk/fc-solve/source$

So the lowest run when running it in a virtual console without X running, and
while renicing it to the highest priority, makes it run at 95.67 seconds, vs.
gcc's 85.13 seconds.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish