I will ask him to do it, however my guess is that he was not aware of the
encoding and tried to use the default encoding which was probably
windows-1251 (Latin-1) and thus got the gibrish.
In open office it also happened.
Open office recognized UTF-8 by itself but could not recognize windwos-1255
and gave by default windows-1251.

--
Ori Idan