Quoting Ira Abramov, from the post of Tue, 02 Nov:

> the howto), but now I have postfix refusing to connect to the database.
> I'm close to open a new thread on that since I feel like I exhausted
> everything Google could find me.

Motherfrakker! This took two important hours and here's the solution:

postfix kept complaining the socket was not there but it is. finally I
saw that one example listed the map setting in main.cf thus:

virtual_alias_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf
rather than:
virtual_alias_maps = mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql_virtual_alias_maps.cf

As most of the faqs do. I did grep chroot /etc/postfix/* and discovered
that master.cf indeed defaults all the services to chroots (not a bad
idea at all) but not the proxymap. indeed if you look at the postfix
processes in /proc you will see that most interesting bits do run
chrooted. the solution was not to move the socket into the chroot, but
instead to use the "proxy:" to get to it.

methinks this and other bits of the process mean the howto needs a
serious update. If only I had the time :-)

--
The gift that keeps on giving
Ira Abramov