On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 11:23 AM, geoffrey mendelson
<geoffreymendel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However Oleg, you are missing an important bit of information. Since there
> is no such thing as an "internet", one ISP can not be assumed to be at all
> like another. In the real world, such things are determined by how good the
> connection is from you to them, with several ISPs and different routes in
> between.
>
> Usually it means how well does your ISP's ISP connect to their ISP's ISP, or
> even multiple levels of ISPs.

No, Geoff, I am not missing that. What you are saying is that the 50%
loss is over the whole path that includes numerous "autonomous
systems" (AS), and not all of it may occur inside the ISP's network.

While this is obviously correct, if the path to ISP#1 is lousy and the
path to ISP#2 isn't, the only thing that you, the customer, can
control is the choice between the two. How the packets are routed
between ASes is out of scope and, frankly, should not interest you
very much. It should interest the ISP, and your suggestion to give
them a chance to fix their connectivity certainly has merit.

Besides, paths are complicated if the OP is trying to connect to his
office through an Israeli ISP from, say the US or Australia. If the
whole path is inside Israel then the number of ASes along the path is
actually small to trivial.

--
Oleg Goldshmidt | o...@goldshmidt.org