On Jul 3, 2011, at 8:02 AM, shimi wrote:

There's a very good reason of using UDP and not TCP for tunneling.
http://sites.inka.de/bigred/devel/tcp-tcp.html

That's 10 years old. Even then it was questionable, UDP packets were dropped by ISPs all over the world when congested. That's why I worded my answer the way I did. If you understand what the differences are between TCP and UDP, you understand the risks, costs and benefits.

With an uncrowded network, UDP makes more sense because there is a lot of overhead in TCP you don't need. In a crowded network, where UDP packets get dropped or delayed, like the are supposed to. TCP is a better option.

It depends upon what you want. Fast performace with drop outs, or slower more reliable performance. For example, VoIP normally uses UDP as the desingers prefered to drop packets that arrived out of sequence or late, a little sound glitch was worth it for better streaming performance.

HTTP was built around TCP because the designers wanted 100% reliablilty instead of (possible) better performance.

FTP was built on neither. The FTP protocol uses UDP, but includes a rudimentry implementation of the same functions as TCP (packet sequencing and replacements of bad/missing packets).

IMHO it all depends upon what you are using the VPN for. For watching the "footie" on the "telly" then I would chose UDP with no problem, even when there would be significant drop outs. For a business VPN where I'm editing text or filling out forms, or whatever, TCP would be required as you want to see and send every packet of data. YMMV.

As for dealing with your ISP, if you want dedicate bandwidth, buy dedicated bandwidth. If you want random performance based on the low price plan, don't expect them to make it better.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM
Making your enemy reliant on software you support is the best revenge.