Generally the linux drivers cover an equally large if not larger spectrum...

I have an Atheros chip from that family on my laptop, it required me
to install one more package for wired communication (wireless
[different chip, also atheros] worked out of the box):

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8162 Fast
Ethernet (rev 10)

The weird thing was that the driver detection program didn't realize this...

Either way the package that provides the 'alx' driver on Ubuntu 12.10 is:
linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-quantal-generic

Hope that helps,
Eliyahu - אליהו