2012/12/26 Baruch Siach <bar...@tkos.co.il>:
> Hi Eliyahu,
>
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 03:45:27PM +0200, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
>> Generally the linux drivers cover an equally large if not larger spectrum...
>
> Of course. But there is no guarantee that the covered range exactly overlaps
> the Windows driver one.
>
>> I have an Atheros chip from that family on my laptop, it required me
>> to install one more package for wired communication (wireless
>> [different chip, also atheros] worked out of the box):
>>
>> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8162 Fast
>> Ethernet (rev 10)
>
> Fast Ethernet is most likely 10/100, not GbE (10/100/1000).
Correct, I now also notice that the official specs on this laptop say
it's just 10/100, however that does not change the fact that according
to atheros it falls in the same family of chips....
http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/catalog/search/?csrfmiddlewaretoken=9ec89be3308015f25587de8fd4cd11ff&query=atheros

> What is the output of 'lspci -n'?
1969:1090

>> The weird thing was that the driver detection program didn't realize this...
>>
>> Either way the package that provides the 'alx' driver on Ubuntu 12.10 is:
>> linux-backports-modules-cw-3.6-quantal-generic
>
> Are you sure it is not 'atlx'?
my modprobe history don't lie ;) neither does lspci -v
Regards,
Eliyahu - אליהו