On 09.01.2014 16:24, geoffrey mendelson wrote:
On 1/9/2014 3:08 PM, Vassilii Khachaturov wrote:
Thanks for your answer. When I posted a link to a matrix of all the current eink-based readers, I assumed it is obvious I want an e-ink based one. I'd think dedicated reader would be more energy/weight/price efficient than a general purpose tablet, but anything with e-ink will do! Also, as I had stated, I'm not interested in buying DRM books anyway...

Not really. You can buy an active display android tablet for about the same money. E-ink displays are more energy efficient, but slow. You end up hitting the next button before you finish a page in the hope that it starts to refresh before you get to the last word in the page and finishes as you do.

They also suck for displaying material that was originally color or scanned material. I have many books that were scanned and they are unreadable on an e-ink display,

E-ink was an idea which came and went.
I've been quite happy with the 1st generation irex iliad reader, despite the slow refresh. The newer e-ink pearl units really look great, and much better on my eyes wrt reading strain than a tablet. So it's not a matter of money, but of my personal preferences and my use case, which is a perfect match for an e-ink reader!