On 09.01.2014 12:31, Vassilii Khachaturov wrote:
Can anyone recommend an ebook reader? I need one that
1) allows me to read my own PDFs and taking notes under Linux;
2) is sold and (well) supported in Israel;
3) doesn't require me to have a non-Linux machine to flash the updates;
4) doesn't require me to go online to download my own content to it;
5) isn't illegal to have in Israel because of its wireless capabilities (in fact, I'd like to be able to disable any wireless technology and not to use it anyway).

Something for which I don't have a desktop sync app in Linux as opposed to Mac/Win and have to mount the reader as a usb storage device is fine.

For a global picture, there is a cool "master list" over at
 http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

VKH
Went for onyx M92, and I was pleasantly surprised how good things work out of the box with linux --- no rooting, no special hack installations needed. Annotation works very well, too, as well as reviewing it back on Linux workstation.

The only thing that doesn't work well out of the box is hyperref-produced hyperlinks in the PDF --- the Adobe PDF reader shipped in the reader isn't too intuitive. Need to install another reader app for that. Another minor annoyance is the silly confirmation question whenever you exit a PDF --- back from the days when the reader used to forget the last position in a book, no longer the case...

Didn't need to contact the support in Israel yet, hopefully won't during the warranty period at all :)

V.