that msg. comes when pppd is searching for compression
modules. PPP offers 2 type of compressions, AFAIK.
deflate and bsd-comp. BSD comp is properietary, and is
not advised. and NEwayz... deflate is better. it uses
a sort of gzip compression on the data. u're PPP
should autoload it, but incase this doesn't happen,
do:

# modprobe ppp_deflate
# modprobe bsd_comp

this should load in the compression modules, which'll
speed up u're PPP connection (as well as get rid of
the msgs... ;-). u can check it with lsmod. if the
modules dont load that means they aren't available.
the reason maybe that they haven't been compiled when
the kernel was compiled, or they haven't been given by
u're distro. AFAIK, all distros give it.

Nikhil.