--- Arun Sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Many people still believe that gzip is a "better"
> compression
> algorithm than bzip2 - mainly because the small
> additional
> compression achieved by bzip2 is not worth the much
> higher
> compression time and CPU.

All i care about is bandwidth. that's cuz being behind
a 33.6/6 connection is not the best way to do things
on the net. :=\

> For things like PPP, the extra compression would be
> useless,
> if the time it takes to compress is more than the
> time it takes
> to transmit the uncompressed data.

I guess there is a trade off. But i think gzip doesn't
take much time, and i get better speeds on a Linux ISP
here (POL), who supports deflate compression. i get
about 4.2kbps at 'about 3 am... unmatchable by any
ISP, on a 33.6 modem... hyd. doesn't have 56k lines...

> comp.compession is a great newsgroup to read more
> about these issues.

Most of my time is spent reading emails. if i start
off with newsgroups, i'll need to the tune of 50hrs. a
day... ;-) thazz why i had to de-addict muhself from
USENET! ;-)

Nikhil.