--Dr. S.K. Singh--
--Senior Scientist--
--Agril. Res. services--

On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Arun Sharma wrote:

Dear Arun,

I consulted the doc written by Mr. Donald Baker on
"cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/eepro100.html" for intel cards before
I posted this mesage. However I am narrating steps.

My conf.modules has "alias eth0 eepro1000". When I connected server to
Switch i rebooted the machine so that both ports could negotiate the best
possible speed. The link as indicated by indicators on switch was 100 MBPS
but no ping to server from either end.

Then used the blunt way.. of configuring the card i.e. "init 1", "rmmod
eepro100" and as per Donalds guidence "insmode eepro100 options=32 or 48 (
32 for 100 mbps half duples and 48 for full duplex). The card was
initialised in exactly same mode in which I wanted. Started network by
"init 3" but ping showed "destination host unrechable". Here I got one
amazing result.....

for 10 to 20 packests  ping showed destination host unreachable but next
few gave ping results but above 10-20 MS while at 10 MBPs i get ping at .3
MS.
I also tried telnet bay switches and configuring the ports in all possible
way i could but the card worked only at 10 MBPS on switch.
I ahve same cards and some other i.e. 3-com and Compex 100 on win boxes
they all are working good on same switch.

        I have alot many Compex 100 cards in spare and I can take out
3-com form other box but as my habbit is to fight i am still fighting with
Intel card so that I can get some success.