Rajeev Rao proclaimed:
> Hello, I'm presuming that the advise you have given to Raghunath, works on a
> ix86 linux box as well

It does.

> >Step 1: The home directory of the users should physically exist on some
> >machine.  You should also be running NFS on this machine.  Let us say
> >that the physical home directories are under /home on this machine.
> >Export /home through NFS.

> I added these lins to my export directory as shown below
> /home 192.168.1.1 (rw)
> /home/rajeev 192.168.1.1 (rw)
>
> on using exportfs i got the following
> /home           192.168.1.1
> /home           <world>

What those entries imply is that the directory /home and /home/rajeev
are remotely mountable by machine 192.168.1.1.  Is this what you wanted
to be done?  Also, from the machine 192.168.1.1, issue the following
command to see whether the NFS server is exporting correctly:

showmount -e server_name_or_ip_address

One more thing.  If you are already exporting /home, no need to export
/home/rajeev seperately.

> >Sep 4: The autofs daemon can automount locally specified stuff and stuff
> >specified in the NIS maps (a map called auto.master).  Edit
> >/etc/auto.master on the client machine.  It should look like so:
> >
> >/misc /etc/auto.misc
> >+auto.master
> I've added this line to the auto.master in the client machine

Did you add the '+auto.master' to /etc/auto.master?

> >Step 4: Restart the autofs daemon /etc/rc.d/init.d/autofs restart.  >Now
> >if you type mount, you should see that /u (as specified in >auto.master)
> >is mounted.
> No, that did not happen. I restarted autofs, but on giving mount,
> no /u is given

The kernel on the client machine should also have autofs support
enabled.  To see if this is so, 'cat /proc/filesystems' should show a
line saying 'nodev  autofs'.

There is obviously a problem at this stage.  I'd look closely into the
/etc/rc.d/init.d/autofs shell script to make sure that the auto.master
map from NIS is parsed properly.  Also watch the log file.  Some
versions of autofs shipped with a shell script that did not properly
parse NIS maps.

> Where am i going wrong. Another qustion : I have to setup NIS & NFS on my
> college server. There are 16 machines in the lab. Can I specify an IP range
> in the export file rather then single IP addresses.

I am not sure.  If it is a closed network, you can specify '*' to refer
to all the machines.

> Is it possible to export only a group rather then the entire home directory?

Yes.  But you have to have entries in the export file for each directory
that you are exporting.

Thaths