Rajeev Rao proclaimed:
>    I logged on as rajeev. (I removed that extra entry in the exports file).
> I was able to do standard procedures, such as reading/writing. However,
> although the operations worked, a constant error message was reflected on
> the server. Unfortunately I could not record the messages. But it was
> something about permission violations.

When you log in as rajeev on the client machine, type 'id' and see the
output.  This will give you the userid of user rajeev.  On the server,
do the same and see whether the id numbers match.  Also, on the server
do a ls -l on /home/rajeev to see who owns the file.

>    Another problem was that I could not start X.

what was the error?

> Anyway, I decided to re-do the entire setup(I've to be compentent enough to
> get my college network going, so I'm practising at home).
> I followed the same procedure as far as I can recollect.
> However, for some reason. My user directory suddenly became in-accesable
> from the server itself! On giving an ls command in the home directory,
> The user directory was *blinking*. On trying the whole thing again (third
> try) I faced the same problem.
>
> What could this be due to?

Hmmm.  I have no idea why this is happening.  Start again once more and
write down EVERYTHING that you do and the error messeges too.

> The college lab has 15 celeron 300'A's, 32MB. The server also has the same
> config. Do you foresee a problem in this.

The server needs to be more powerful.  Make the server a Pentium II 500+
with at least 256M of RAM.

> We also intend to connect old
> 486's as dumb-terminals on to the same server. Could you tell me if there is
> HOWTO on how to install linux over an NFS? I couldn't find one in the HOWTO
> directory?

The reason you could not find a HOWTO on how to install Linux through
NFS is probably because the installation method differs based on the
distribution.

Here are the steps that I'd do to install the NFS/NIS stuff from
scratch:

1. Install OS on the server.
2. Install and configure NFS to export /home
3. Install and configure NIS and its various maps

4. Install OS on the client.
5. Configure  and run /etc/rc.d/init.d/ypbind
6. Run 'ypcat passwd', 'ypcat -k auto.master' and 'ypcat -k auto.home'
on client to see if everything related to NIS is reaching the client
fine.
7. Now before installing and configruing autofs, log in as rajeev.  You
will be able to log in but your home directory will not be mounted.
Then log out.
8. Now become root and make run 'mount -t nfs server_name:/home/rajeev
/u/rajeev'  (i.e. mount the home directory manually from the server onto
the client.
9. Log in as normal user and see if everything is fine.  Run X and see
if it runs.
10. Now unmount the manually mounted /u/rajeev .  Install autofs,
configure it, run /etc/rc.d/init.d/autofs start, and log in as rajeev
and see what happens.

And please, when you respond asking questions, quote portions of my
messese so that I know which portions you are talking about.

Thaths

LIH is all for free speech.  But it was created
for a purpose.  Violations of the rules of
this list will result in stern action.