On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Arun Khan <knu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Vivek Varghese Cherian
> <vivekcher...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Buy one of the USB data card services.  I have seen demos of the Tata
>>> Indicom Photon service in Mumbai; the download data rate was close to 2
>>> Mb/s.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Arun Khan
>>
>> Did you see it working on a laptop with FOSS ?
>>
>> The feedback from the Tata Indicom show room, when I inquired about
>> photon a while back was that they don't support "Linux".
>>

> I do no have either the Tata Photon+ or the Reliance RConnect (IIRC)
> but I believe FOSSers have been able to use them successfully with
> their Linux desktops.   Google search "linux tata photon" throws up
> quite a few helpful links.
>
> The setup may not be as straight forward as running "setup.exe" and
> YMMV with hardware/firmware version in the devices.

TATA Photon+ USB modem is the Huawei EC1260, which is supported "out
of the box" in the latest Ubuntu. TATA has a guide for configuration
here (you want to use vwdial, TATA as a provider is not yet supported
in the NetworkManager - at least not last I looked):
http://www.tataindicom.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3011

Expect a lot of variation in available bandwidth depending on your
location. My own experience is that it is hard to keep network
connection on GT Express Chennai-Delhi, but hardly how everyone
travels :-)

Regards,
Soren
Nellore