VGETTY is VoiceGETTY while MGETTY is ModemGETTY.  Ok, I'm not pulling
anybody's leg but that is it. The difference is that vgetty handles voice
calls which come in or go out via the modem; and mgetty handles data and
voice.  Generally, people tend to use both and therefore the packages come as
mgetty+vgetty; although the configuration files for each are different.
PCQuest (Atul Chitnis and someone else) put together a good write-up (which
you have obviously, like me, gone through assidously!).  The article has
stated that it will not handle both simultaneously due to a certain 'lock'
mechanism in Linux.  I've tried out their script and technically it went as it
stated but it didn't do what I wanted!!
Anyway, there is a longish article on it somewhere in Linux Journal
(www.linuxjournal.com); more info at the HOWTO pages (Linux Documentation
Project via www.linux.org); and elsewhere on the net.  I've configured it
using the HOWTO and it went well for me after a few initial mistakes.
Somebody else too on this list has configured his linux box to become an
answering machine so he too knows about it (I'm sorry I forget his name - but
the archives have it).

RKA