"L.V.Gandhi" wrote:

> What is the difference between vgetty and mgetty. In mar 99 issue of PCq
> regarding remote login, entry for inittab is given as
> VI:2345:respawn:/sbin/mgetty -s 115200 ttyS0
> what for the 'VI' is given?
> can vgetty can be used for mgetty. Though I downloaded and installed
> vgetty there is no man or info. Can anybody explain the above?

The VI is just an identifier, you can put your initials LV also. mgetty
covers dial in  shell/ppp connection, fax etc and for voice use vgetty.
Unfortunately very little documentation is available for vgetty.

-mukund
http://members.theglobe.com/betacomp/index.htm
http://members.xoom.com/BETACOMP/index1.htm