>       I also have an original intel 440BX-2 motherboard & it does not
> have UDMA66 support.

True, the SE440BX2 board does not have support for UDMA66, but it does have
support for UDMA33. Without the DMA support turned on in Linux, you won't
even get that (UDMA66 disks do talk UDMA33).

But in most cases, the issue isn't UDMA33 or 66 at all, but plain old DMA.
Without DMA support, disk activity can seriously load the CPU, resulting in
bad performance overall, as was demonstrated by my XMMS experience - after I
turned on DMA, all skips and stutters disappeared even when I was doing a
complete kernel recompile or burning a CD.

Atul