Hi,

Could anyone clarify what causes the following messages to appear in the
/var/log/messages file ? I keep getting them a lot of times everyday on my
server.

<from the messages file>
Feb  2 10:35:50 linux PAM_pwdb[1098]: get passwd; pwdb: request not
recognized
Feb  2 10:36:50 linux last message repeated 4 times
Feb  2 10:38:48 linux last message repeated 6 times
Feb  2 10:42:31 linux last message repeated 4 times
Feb  2 10:42:32 linux PAM_pwdb[1098]: get passwd; pwdb: request not
recognized
<end of log >

Also, how can I turn off the logging into the /var/log/cron file by the
crond daemon ? (I have crond running the "sync" command every minute in
order to avoid loss of data in case of a power failure and you can imagine
the amount of garbage that gets accumulated in the cron log :-( !!)

TIA.

Kala