On Sun, Feb 06, 2000 at 10:09:16PM +0530, Babu Kalakrishnan wrote:
> The sync() system call however calls a function which performs an
> unconditional flushing of *all* dirty buffers to disk - I agree it's a
> rather brute force technique, but it does makes the filesystem a little
> more tolerant to abrupt power outages.

This is why some BSD snobs look down upon ext2fs. On *BSD, mounts are
synchronous by default. Even when you make async mounts, there are
stronger guarantees, because of the softupdates concept. So FFS is
less susceptible to these kinds of crashes.

But ext2fs, which is heavily influenced by FFS in design, works great
in practice, especially over here in the US where power outages are
very rare.

        -Arun

LI is all for free speech, but this list was created for a purpose --
to help popularise Linux in India. If your messages are counterproductive
to that purpose, your privileges to submit messages can and will be revoked.