> If I have forgotten my linux password (root and user). Even if I type linux
> single at the prompt, afte boot up the system prompts me for for username
> and password. How do get  in??

linux single

should drop you to a root-shell.
Now type

#passwd <enter>

and enter the password you want. What is the problem. [Assuming that
your lilo.conf has not been molested to contain the line <restricted>]

LI is all for free speech, but this list was created for a purpose --
to help popularise Linux in India. If your messages are counterproductive
to that purpose, your privileges to submit messages can and will be revoked.