07/22/2007 04:14 PM, Carlos Corbacho wrote/a écrit:
Dimitry, Éric,

On Friday 20 July 2007 05:06:35 Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
I was not aware that these models can deliver events for hotkeys via
atkbd. I think option B is best since interrupt-driven mode is always
better than polling. I am CC-ing Eric Piel who did most of the work
on new models support in wistron_btns.

Looking around a bit more, the following should definitely be removed from wistron_btns:

Acer Aspire 3020
Acer Aspire 5020

The following I'm not entirely sure on these, but they _probably_ should be removed:

Acer TravelMate 2100
Acer TravelMate 2410 (identical hardware to the Aspire 1610, which is known to generate scancodes)
Acer TravelMate 2424NWXCi (aka TravelMate 2420 series)

As a rule of thumb, if the laptop is based on Acer's "folio" design, which they've used for most of the TravelMate and Aspire laptops from 2004 to the present day (although some of the newer ones are now using a different design), and/ or the model/ series number is a four digit one (such as 5020), it shouldn't be in wistron_btns (the Aspire 1500 and Aspire 1600 I would make an exception for, as they don't appear to be based on the "folio" design, and therefore don't fit this pattern).

Hi,

I finally got a hand on an old 3020, a 32 bit-only one. I can confirm that even on this old version the keys are also passed through atkdb (including wifi and bluetooth keys). I had put all the one you mentioned only because they were described in the acerhk driver as using the wistron interface. I'm not attached to them at all ;-)

So I'm fine with your suggestion to remove their entries, at least for: 3020, 5020, 2100, 2410. For the 2420, it came earlier from Ashutosh Naik (cc'ed now), asking him first if it's also working without the driver would be much better!

By removing the entries, we should keep in mind that with the vanilla kernel, there is still a small functionality loss: wireless and led activations are lost. Those functionalities are provided by the acer_acpi driver (with a much cleaner approach), but it's unlikely to reach the vanilla kernel within less than three or four releases. So Dimitry should decide if we want to only remove the key part from those entries, leaving the led and wireless part until acer_acpi gets merged or if we should delete them completely right now.

See you,
Eric