On Wednesday 25 July 2007 22:41:09 Éric Piel wrote:
> So I'm fine with your suggestion to remove their entries, at least for:
> 3020, 5020, 2100, 2410. For the 2420, it came earlier from Ashutosh Naik
> (cc'ed now), asking him first if it's also working without the driver
> would be much better!

Fair enough. :-)

> By removing the entries, we should keep in mind that with the vanilla
> kernel, there is still a small functionality loss: wireless and led
> activations are lost.

True, but then again, this still really shouldn't be done by polling (perhaps
some sort of userspace application would do-the-right-thing?)

> Those functionalities are provided by the
> acer_acpi driver (with a much cleaner approach),

For the 3020/ 5020 yes. For the other machines I do not have DSDTs for them
yet, so I don't know if acer_acpi will work with them or not (unfortunately
acer_acpi is limited to a small subset of Acer's 2005 and newer laptops - I
just don't know all of them yet).

> but it's unlikely to
> reach the vanilla kernel within less than three or four releases.

Possibly - it won't go in as is though (I'm currently waiting on Len Brown to
release a generic WMI ACPI implementation that acer_acpi can then build on,
and hopefully _that_ will then get submitted upstream; acer_acpi in it's
current form has been NAKed).

> So
> Dimitry should decide if we want to only remove the key part from those
> entries, leaving the led and wireless part until acer_acpi gets merged
> or if we should delete them completely right now.

I would say not to base this decision on acer_acpi - I can't yet guarantee it
will support anything other than the 3020/5020 of the other listed laptops. I
would say at the very least remove the 5020 from wistron_btns, otherwise it's
left with inconsistent support between x86 and x86-64.

-Carlos
--
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web: strangeworlds.co.uk