07/27/2007 01:20 PM, Carlos Corbacho wrote/a écrit:
On Wednesday 25 July 2007 22:41:09 Éric Piel wrote:
By removing the entries, we should keep in mind that with the vanilla
kernel, there is still a small functionality loss: wireless and led
activations are lost.

True, but then again, this still really shouldn't be done by polling (perhaps some sort of userspace application would do-the-right-thing?)
Yes, that's right, I hadn't thought this way. What we could do is that if an entry doesn't contain any key related info, we don't activate the polling. That would require adding a user interface to control the bluetooth and wifi cards...

Those functionalities are provided by the acer_acpi driver (with a much cleaner approach),

For the 3020/ 5020 yes. For the other machines I do not have DSDTs for them yet, so I don't know if acer_acpi will work with them or not (unfortunately acer_acpi is limited to a small subset of Acer's 2005 and newer laptops - I just don't know all of them yet).
[Ah! I hadn't realized that Carlos and Cathectic were the same person ;-) So _you_ are writing acer_acpi :-) ] So there might be some laptop which do report keys directly via atkbd but do not have the ACPI interface to control the led/wireless? What a mess... Well, then this solution of keeping the support in wistron_btns is necessary.

BTW, do you know you'll find plenty of acer DSDTs at this address: http://acpi.sourceforge.net/dsdt/view.php?manufacturer=ACER . At least, there is 3020 and 2410 that you are looking for :-)

So Dimitry should decide if we want to only remove the key part from those
entries, leaving the led and wireless part until acer_acpi gets merged
or if we should delete them completely right now.

I would say not to base this decision on acer_acpi - I can't yet guarantee it will support anything other than the 3020/5020 of the other listed laptops. I would say at the very least remove the 5020 from wistron_btns, otherwise it's left with inconsistent support between x86 and x86-64.
Well, let's just remove the key part for every hardware which does report keys via atkbd. Once acer_acpi is merged we can also drop completely the laptops which it supports. It doesn't really matter much if x86 has slightly more hardware support than x86-64.

One very nice thing would be to agree on a common interface to control the wireless interfaces between wistron_btns and acer_acpi (IIRC, led interface is already mostly identical). So that users don't have the interface changing depending on which acer laptop or which driver they are using. That's basically two files called wifi and bluetooth, taking 1 for activation and 0 for deactivation. Anyone can suggest a good path to put them in? (It will be /sys/... definitely as nothing should be added to /proc anymore)

/sys/devices/platform/acer/ ?

Eric