Linux/Linus/Anton/Alan,

I am still sending out the NTFS repair tools for Linux trashed volumes,
and I've lost count now relative to how many I've sent out, but it's
somewhere in the thousands.  Is NTFS write stable enough now in 2.4 to
fix these problems, if so, can we DISABLE by REMOVING write code in the
VFS tables for those versions in other trees we know will trash people's
drives.  I am sending out over 100 copies a week now (I could make a
business out of fixing NTFS drives trashed by Linux) and the numbers are
getting higher instead of lower of people asking for these tools, which
woul indicate more people's data is getting trashed.

Do folks not know this NTFS driver will trash hard drives?  We need to
alert folks DO NOT USE WRITE NTFS MODE in those versions we know are
busted.  I enjoy helping NT customers get their data back and helping
with this problem, but at some point, the NTFS driver either needs to
get sync'd or WRITE disabled.  What I'm doing here is like trying to put
a bandaid over the mouth of the amazon river, and as Linux grows and
grows and grows, this problem will just get larger, and to a point where
I don't have the bandwidth to support it properly.

I will keep providing this service, but I am only treating the symptons
of the illness and not curing the patient.  Based upon the level of
contamination of TRG with Microsoft IP, I have been advised if I post an
NTFS replacement before the 18 month doctrine of inevitability "window"
is past, Microsoft will most certainly sue us, and win.

I strongly recommend stubbing our the file_write() calls in the NTFS VFS
until this gets fixed, until I can get working NTFS out there, or Anton
can get one out there (which will be another year and a half if it comes
from us based on the agreements we have with Microsoft).

:-)

Jeff

I have been using a PC which dual boots Linux/NT. Linux
seems to have trashed the ntfs partition when it ran out of
space while writing to it. The partition is data only but
was not backed up.
A search on the net indicated that this is a common problem
and that you may be able to point me at or provide tools
which could help repair the partition.
I would be grateful for any help,
Lynn

--